Wednesday, November 21, 2012

What I’m Thankful For – An Immigrant’s Thanksgiving


When I first arrived from the Philippines, I didn’t know what the big deal was about Thanksgiving.  You see, as a Catholic coming from a predominantly Catholic country, Christmas was the only holiday of importance to me.  That, and my birthday, but everybody loves me, so that’s a given….lol!  When I celebrated my first Turkey day, the only thing I could thank for that day was all the food, most especially that big bird.  Who knew they made chicken that huge???  Of course, as years passed by and I have been educated in school about the history of the US, it became clearer to me why the Pilgrims’ journey is very significant in the very existence of the United States.  And yes, it was turkey they served, not chicken!

However, I question myself at times, am I thankful for the same things as the passengers of the Mayflower?  I wasn’t trying to escape religious persecution or tyrannical rule.  Comparatively, my life is better, that’s true, but I’m really too young to realize if we were better off not living in the old country.  If I have to choose between voyaging into the unknown or staying put, I think our lives would not be much affected had we chosen the latter (I dunno….I’ll have to ask my Mom about that).  So, as I celebrate this Thanksgiving, I decided to list some, as I have plenty, of the things I am thankful for as I let you in to the world of this immigrant.

First, and an obvious one, I am thankful for my husband.  I am the epitome of the tantrums of 10 spoiled kids.  I am irrationally stubborn, and everything has to be my way.  To have someone who not only loves me, but puts up with such cantankerous child like me is heaven-sent.  When I hear of my friends and how they have to deal with their sometimes man-child husbands, all I could think about is, “man, it’s the other way around with me and the hubby.” 

Secondly, I’m thankful for my family.  I am very lucky to have the kind of family who will support you through thick and thin, call you on your bullshit when they need to, and love you unconditionally.   I love the fact that we are not enablers and none of us are afraid to tell each other that they are wrong, most especially if they are going down the wrong path.  (If that hits the spot, yes, I’m talking to you!).  Don’t get me wrong, the love never subsides, but for us, it is even more of a mistake to cheer someone on, even if they’re going onto trouble with their suitcases on both hands.  Nevertheless, when that person falls and need a shoulder to cry on, we are always there, not to say I told you so, but just to give them a helping hand.  If you disagree, write your own blog then!

Non-secular friends, you can skip this part. J I am also thankful for God.  Now, before you say it’s because I went to Catholic school, that’s not the reason at all.  As a matter of fact, I think it made me even question my belief more.  The reason why I am thankful to God is during the times when I am hopelessly looking for answers, I prayed and asked for help in pointing me to the right direction.  Now, I didn’t ask for solution to my problems, but I just asked for strength, courage, and some clue of what my choices are.  I remember when I was meditating in the campus chapel at the University of St. Thomas , I was just really asking for guidance on a problem that has been boggling my mind (not willing to share yet).  That same day, I found a reply to my question.  It wasn’t necessarily a solution, but it was definitely an answer.  Many would argue that it could be just a figment of my imagination or that I was desperately trying to believe, but that is not the case.  I would explain further, but not in this blog.

Another thing I’m thankful for is the advancement in Medicine.  As many of you know, I am a cancer survivor.  What I failed to mention is that I had an Aunt who suffered from the same type of cancer, but did not share the same fate as I did.  She lost both legs and had to go through so many rounds of chemo only to lose the battle.  This happened more than 50 years ago.  As I ponder through my experience with cancer, I am really thankful for the researchers out there who are working feverishly to not only better the treatment for cancer, but to find the cure.  As long as we have these scientists who are committed in eradicating cancer, we are one step closer to making cancer history®.

What would I be without my friends?  Although you can count my real friends in two hands, (yes, they’ve doubled since last year J), they are people whom I can count on.  They will listen to me every time I whine about my daily misgivings, tell me when I’m being a baby, and give me the honesty I ask for when the people around me are afraid to tell me the reality of things.  I tend to be strong-willed, and sometimes, I do need that person to ask me that question, “WTF is wrong with you?” 

I am thankful for a job I love.  It is very rare nowadays to hear someone say that they look forward to going to work.  My job gives me the challenge that I need, and the company I work for respects the fact that family comes first.  Of course, there are certain compromises that I have to make, but nothing that would make me want to say, “I quit!”  That’s all I have to say about that because I don’t want them to think I like working…lol!

Lastly, I’m thankful for meeting all kinds of people from different kinds of races with different types of religion (or lack of).  These people have allowed me to be open-minded about their cultures and beliefs and have taught me the very one thing every person should aim to have from anybody – RESPECT.  It doesn’t matter if they believe in what I believe in, nor does it matter if our cultural differences are immense.  Regardless of our differences, they have welcomed me in their lives (and them, in mine) with open arms and have given me a chance to glance on how they see the world.  I may not totally agree with them, but I will always fight for their right to believe in what they believe in. 

Quite frankly, I have so many things to be thankful for that a day’s worth of typing won’t even scratch the surface.  What I do know is that even though I may not have the same reasons as the Pilgrims did when they first landed, so many things have happened and are still happening in my life that this holiday has given me a chance to look back and say, “Yes, I am thankful.” 

So, to all you people out there, Happy Thanksgiving, and once in a while, stop by and reminisce the good things in your life that allow you to say, “I am thankful.”  Oh, and the turkey is not a chicken!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment