Saturday, November 26, 2011

Who's Crazier Anyway? An Anniversary Blog


Did you know that I almost didn’t get married?  Yep, I was so flustered and frustrated with everything going on that a couple of days before the wedding I almost called the whole thing off.  I became so upset and felt that I didn’t know who this person I was marrying.  Did I catch him cheating?  No.  Did he physically abuse me?  Hah!  Let’s see him try.  Many people have asked what he did so wrong, but I have kept it all inside me (with the exception of a chosen few) and for the very first time, I am about to divulge the one thing he did that almost made me a runaway bride.  I hope that the heavens above forgive me for what I’m about to reveal.  Here it is.  He…..forgot……to give…..the CD…..to our DJ!  Oh, the horror!

LOL!  Sad as it was, that was the awful truth.  I was ready to call off the wedding because he forgot to do the one thing I had asked him to do the week before we were about to get married.  Petty as it was, the preparation had finally gotten to me at that point and I was a walking time bomb.  Looking back, it really wasn’t a big deal, but in my mind, everything was blown out of proportion and with Cookie Monster forgetting the CD, my head compounded it to “This is not the only time he’d forget something” or, “what else will he forget?”  What about his vows?  Will he forget that too?  To a rational mind, that is the most ridiculous thing one could hear, but to a bride, nothing is far-fetched.

Nonetheless, I’m glad that the cooler, more rational Poch emerged from that situation.  You see, it is not about the wedding, but the marriage.  Throughout the years we’ve been together, Cookie Monster has always been patient with me.  He knew about my whims and craziness even before he asked me to marry him.  Don’t get me wrong, he sometimes loses his cool when I become the two-headed monster (and vice versa….he’s no angel, you know!).  Nonetheless, he has accepted me wholeheartedly for what I am and wouldn’t expect me to change.  Because of that acceptance, I strive to be a better person who much deserves the unconditional love that Cookie Monster gives.  I fail at times, but it doesn’t stop me from trying. 

Now, we are celebrating our 6th year-anniversary, and we’ve never had a fight (insert sarcasm here)...LOL!  However, between the good and the bad, the ups and the downs, and everything else in between, the one thing I am certain is that I never regret not taking Monsignor Schuster’s advice of running before I take my vows and say “I do.”  We’re still in our honeymoon stage, I’m sure, but I think....no, I'm sure that there is nobody in this world who can tame the craziness inside me other than the one I am married to. 

Happy Anniversary, Charles Thomas Barrett.  I love you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment